At Schmidlkofer, Toth, Loeb & Drosen, LLC in Wauwatosa, WI we know that divorce can be a difficult time, so we try to help our clients make the process as smooth as possible. Below we’ve outlined some steps you should take before proceeding with a divorce.
- Hire an attorney. Do not chance your future, and if children are involved, their futures by not hiring an experienced attorney to settle all the important issues that come with divorce.
- Gather your important documents so you know where everything is, should you need it.
- Gather a copy of your credit report and all other finances. Know what debts you owe and what your spouse owes. Be prepared with as much financial information that you can legally obtain so you’re not walking into divorce proceedings blind.
- You will need to gather information about your income, usually you can do this by providing pay stubs or a tax return, but sometimes it can be a bit more difficult, for example if you are self-employed.
- Along with getting all your income information, it is important to get your spouse’s income information, this can prove to sometimes be difficult but try to get as much as you can to show your attorney.
If children are involved, always make sure that their needs are the first priority. Sit down and explain to them what is going on and how things are going to change.
We know that divorce is never easy, but if you are thinking of filing for divorce and have any questions, you can contact our legal team at 414-259-9300 for a free consultation and we will guide you through all the steps.