Post-Divorce Mistakes to Avoid
Millions of families in the United States are dealing with divorce, and the numbers seem to be on the rise as each year passes. If you’re currently going through a divorce or have just finalized your divorce it is important to avoid certain things that can make your divorce situation worse. We’re going to discuss some things to avoid after a divorce so that you can start to move on and avoid going back to court.
- A child needs both of their parents in their life, do not try and sabotage the relationship between the child and the other parent. This is never a good idea, and your child will suffer.
- Again, if children are involved it is important to have a parenting plan in place with your ex. The best route is to focus on what is in the best interest of the children.
- Do not ignore court orders because you can find yourself back in court.
- Make sure you are paying your child support on time each month. It’s important to make sure that your child support payments are accounted for, so we always recommend using a state-run agency or a third-party service to keep track of all child support payments so you do not end up back in court.
- The sweetest revenge is happily moving on, so try and move on, do not seek revenge over your ex. It is not easy to move on a life a happy life if you’re holding onto anger.
- Be a support system for the children, not the other way around. Your child is not an adult and should not feel like they need to take care of you.
If you are going through a divorce and need an experienced divorce attorney, please give our firm a call at 414-259-9300 for a free consultation. We offer divorce representation in Wauwatosa, WI and surrounding Wisconsin areas including Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Washington, Racine and Kenosha Counties.
Posted on: Monday, February 15th, 2016